This September, we’re crashing Veolia’s Wonder Day in Southwark to visit their brand new Integrated Waste Management Facility, to understand what happens to your waste after it has been thrown away.
Waste management is a worldwide issue impacting nations, city halls, corporations and consumers. Often down to public awareness and behaviour change strategies. And London appears to be a great example to explore the importance of the issue and better understand how waste management works. For us, it's a great deep dive into a world we know little: logistics.
During this day, we’ll learn how recyclables and black bag waste is turned into new green products and how it provides energy to the National Grid.
Other activities are:
- Seeing wild birds up close and finding out how hawks help out on site.
- Meeting ‘R3cycle’ Veolia’s friendly remote controlled robot made from old recycling bins who loves entertaining children.
- Exploring the big machines that work on site and learning what they do.
- Discovering the origins of materials, the recycling life-cycle.
- Getting upcycling ideas and recycling tips.
- Love honey? ‘Old Kent honey’ will be available on the day, with all proceeds going to FoodCycle.
To join, please watch your inbox and RSVP to the email to tell us if we are counting you in. The event will be happening on Saturday 16th of September at 10am at the Southwark Recycling Facility.
If you don't know what Open Your Mind is, it's a visit or a chat with someone outside our industry to keep our minds fresh with new perspectives.